Monday, May 30, 2016

The Complete List of 'OK, Google' Commands

With Google Now, you can use voice commands to create reminders, get help with trivia questions, and, yes, even find out "what does the fox say?"

And, with today's update from Google, the voice assistant's reponse will sound more natural than ever. (Though, of all the voice assistants, Google Now was already the most natural-sounding one.)

If you can't get enough of talking to your phone (or your AndroidWear watch), we put together a long list of OK, Google commands to help you get more done with just your voice.

OK, Google

There are two ways to say a command.
  • With newer Android devices, just say "OK Google," followed by a question or task. For example, if I wanted to know the weather, I could say "OK Google, what's the weather like today?" and a few seconds later Google Now would provide the forecast.
  • Tap on the microphone button in the Google search bar, and skip the "OK, Google" portion of the conversation. If the search bar isn't on a home screen, swipe right from the primary home screen to see Google Now.
If "OK, Google" isn't working for you, make sure that feature is enabled. Head to the Google Now app, go to Menu > Settings > Voice > "OK Google" detection.

The (almost) complete list of Google commands

We searched high and low for a complete list of "OK Google" commands, but came up short. So we put one together ourselves. Below is a list of commands we have verified work on Android. Odds are it's not entirely complete, since Google did not share one with us -- we asked.

If you know of a command missing from our list, please leave a comment and we will be sure to included it.

The basics
  • Open [app name]. Example: "Open Gmail."
  • Go to [website]. Ex.: "Go to CNET.com."
  • Call [contact name]. Ex.: "Call Mom."
  • Text or Send text to [contact name]. Ex.: "Text Wife I'm running late."
  • Email or Send email. Ex.: "Email Wife subject Hi message I'm running late, sorry." You can also add CC and BCC recipients.
  • Show me my last messages. This will present a list of recent messages, and read them to you, giving you a chance to reply.
  • Create a calendar event or Schedule an appointment. Ex.: "Create appointment Go on a walk tomorrow at 10 a.m."
  • Set an alarm for [specific time, or amount of time]. Ex.: "Set alarm for 10 a.m." Or "Set alarm for 20 minutes from now."
  • Set a timer for [X] minutes.
  • Note to self [contents of note].
  • Start a list for [list name].
  • Send Hangout message to [contact name].
  • Remind me to [do a task]. Ex.: "Remind me to get dog food at Target," will create a location-based reminder. "Remind me to take out the trash tomorrow morning," will give you a time-based reminder.
  • Show me my pictures from [location]. Ex.: "Show me my pictures from San Francisco."
  • Show me my calendar.
  • When's my next meeting?
  • Where is my next meeting?
  • Post to Twitter.
  • Post to Google+
  • Show me [app category] apps. Ex.: "Show me gaming apps."
  • Start a run.
  • Show me emails from [contact name].
by Jason Cipriani, CNET |  Read more:
Image: James Martin