Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Unnecessary Questions


Image: via
[ed. Just watched an interview with a young black athlete who was queried about, among other things (this being Black History Month), how they felt about blah, blah, blah... expectations, barriers, historical injustices, etc. The expected response is of course to be honored and humbled at what they've achieved, express gratitude for their abilities and opportunities, note how much still needs to be done, and hope they'll be a positive role model for future generations going forward (pretty much the response given). But I wondered... why? Why is there even a question like this? And if so, why not just say "... I appreciate your question, but I'm not defined by my race or color, or anything else but who I am. I'm an American, as American as you are, and I don't represent or speak for anybody but myself. People can take whatever inspiration or meaning they want from that." Idk. Is that racist? (... your conclusion will tell you a lot).]