And those people are completely and utterly wrong.
The original title of this article was “Is Oracle Dying?” because I assume, when I took a deeper look, that there’d be some sort of debate, some sort of bull case for a decades-old quasi-hyperscaler run by one of the more nakedly-evil CEOs in the history of tech. I assumed — incorrectly, I might add — that Oracle as a business was doing fine other than the ridiculous commitments it made to support the whims of Sam Altman and OpenAI via deals that I believed (and still believe) will kill Oracle.
Except it turns out that Oracle has already been on a death spiral for the best part of a decade (if not longer) and has only survived this long by screwing its customers, taking on masses of debt, and — most importantly — more than $85 billion in acquisitions over the last 23 years. Pretty much every major product line outside of databases is a hodge-podge of other people’s innovation stapled together with a legendary contempt for the customer. These acquisitions (and continual price increases) are the only thing keeping the reaper from Oracle’s door other than margin-destroying GPUs. [...]
After April 2009’s $5.7 billion acquisition of Sun Microsystems, Oracle’s revenues barely kept pace with inflation until December 2021’s $28.3 billion acquisition of Cerner allowed it to create Oracle Health, adding about $6 billion in annual revenue that had 40% lower margins (about 21.7%) than Oracle’s other businesses, though Oracle immediately started closing offices and brutal layoffs to try and bring them up.
And as I mentioned above, Oracle’s other plan was to sink a little over $99 billion in capital expenditures since the middle of calendar year 2020 into AI GPUs. [...]
Oracle is a decades-long mission to keep reapplying lipstick to a pig. Billions of dollars of acquisitions have, for the most part, only succeeded in keeping the company’s revenue growth from going negative, and as noted by forensic accountant Howard M. Schilit, this is one of the most well-documented cases of accounting shenanigans being used to cover up that a business is in decline.
Today’s newsletter is a sequel to the Hater’s Guide To Oracle, where I told the sordid tale of how Larry Ellison grew a massive, lucrative business out of a database business that one reporter once told me was a “law firm with a database company attached,” an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) product that competes with SAP to create the most-annoying way to run a large company, and a business built around licensing Java that exists mostly to email people and say “you need to pay us for Java or we’ll sue you.”
Then, as I’ve mentioned, there’s Oracle’s cloud infrastructure business, a decade-old also-ran that was meant to compete with Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services, but only managed to catch up following the advent of AI GPUs and a movement where all it took to party was buying billions of GPUs and saying “gosh darn, we love AI.”
I originally started drafting this as a much tamer piece where I’d ask whether Oracle was dying, but as my editor and I started digging into the research, it became obvious that not only is Oracle dying, it’s been dying for years, kept alive through decades of acquisitions and a desperate and dangerous commitment to generative AI.
And AI, I believe, will be what eventually kills Oracle dead. [...]
With revenue plateauing and customers in revolt, Oracle’s future already looked murky, but with the power of AI — and $95 billion in FY2027 capex — it’s becoming increasingly clear that this may be Larry Ellison’s last dance with Silicon Valley.
by Ed Zitron, Where's Your Ed At | Read more:
Image: Larry Ellison, Bloomberg/Getty
[ed. Larry Ellison. One of the most hated personalities in tech (and unfortunately, owner of my beloved island of Lanai, in Hawaii). Update: What a coincidence. There's quite a story in the NY Times that just came out about Ellison being the face of the AI bubble. See also: The Hater's Guide to Oracle (Zitron); Ellison Empire Beseiged On All Fronts (NC); and, this excellent series The Oracle Files by Drey Dossier on YouTube. (For example, this one: How Larry Ellison and Gulf Money Just Bought Your News):]
***
Warner Brothers Discovery shareholders are getting screwed on this new Paramount deal. Okay. And I would like to get into exactly how before they vote on Thursday, the largest media merger in American history is going to a shareholder vote. A merger worth in the ballpark of $111 billion in case you were wondering.Which means that Warner Brothers, you know, the big conglomerate that owns CNN and HBO, is potentially getting folded into another conglomerate Paramount Pictures, which is the company that owns CBS, MTV, Showtime, and Nickelodeon. And the shareholder vote is April 23rd, this up coming Thursday.
And last Thursday afternoon, which is one week before the vote, Warner Brothers Discovery filed a 14 page correction to the document that shareholders are voting o n.
Now, this is kind of a big deal because this is a 14page addendum to the biggest media merger in American history. And this was filed on Thursday of last week, 4 days ago at this point.
Now, public companies don't usually rewrite their own proxy statements a week before a shareholder vote, unless of course someone is forcing them to, which usually means that someone being one of their shareholders is suing them in order to do so. So, I checked to see if there were any lawsuits floating around out there, and what do you know? There is one. A shareholder named Donna Nikosia, apologies if I butchered that last name, filed a lawsuit on April 2nd saying that the original document left out a lot of information that shareholders needed in order to make an informed vote.
And following Donna's lawsuit were 15 other shareholders who had sent letters more or less saying the same thing. And can we all just take a moment here and say thank you to Donna for filing what we all probably knew to be true in the back seconds of our heads that there is information being left out that you need in order to make an informed decision this upcoming Thursday. Now up top I just want to say that I am not a Warner Brothers Discovery shareholder. I have never owned a share of Warner Brothers Discovery or Paramount Pictures. I am just thanking Donna as a media consumer.
All right, and somebody who works within the media ecosystem because I like to keep my media independent and this deserves a lot more scrutiny than it's getting. So WBD, Warner Brothers Discovery, told the court that this lawsuit had no merit and then two weeks later slightly added the information.
Anyways, so this move in business, I've learned, is how you smother out a lawsuit without ever having to say that we are wrong. Now, we're going to get into what was in this correction in a second here because oh boy, were they leaving information out? [...]
Anyways, so this move in business, I've learned, is how you smother out a lawsuit without ever having to say that we are wrong. Now, we're going to get into what was in this correction in a second here because oh boy, were they leaving information out? [...]
You know, I read that 14 page new filing this weekend and there are two companies in it that WBD is still trying very hard not to have to say out loud and is trying even harder, it seems, to smother this from any of the news outlets taking this to the other shareholders. And I think I figured out which ones they're talking about.
[ed. And this: Why Iran's Blockade is an Oracle Story:]
Most people know Larry Ellison as the Oracle billionaire, which true, you also probably know that he is the largest private donor to the Israeli military in American history.
[ed. And this: Why Iran's Blockade is an Oracle Story:]
Most people know Larry Ellison as the Oracle billionaire, which true, you also probably know that he is the largest private donor to the Israeli military in American history.
He's given over $26 million to the friends of the IDF since 2014, including a single $16.5 million donation in 2017. That is the largest gift in the organization's history. And that is the part we have discussed at length. But here is the part that a lot of people don't know. Ellison is not just the largest funer of the Israeli military.
His company is the operational backbone of it. According to Open Intel, Oracle holds a 26-year contract to build and operate the IT infrastructure for the IDF's intelligence campus in Negv. For clarity, that is the facility that houses unit 8200, Israel's signals intelligence and cyber warfare division and one of the largest listening bases in the world. That is a 26-year relationship extending into the 2040s between a private American company and the intelligence apparatus of a foreign military.
And that's just the intelligence side because Oracle also runs the Israeli Air Force entire logistics system, the supply chain that tracks his spare parts for F-35s and F-16s, aviation fuel and mutations inventory. Oracle hosts an AI battlefield management system called Fireweaver that coordinates sensors and weapons on the battlefield in real time, which means that Oracle software is making targeting decisions in the kill chain for Israeli Defense Forces.